Sourced from Taste of home.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 3 stalks)
- 1 cup chopped carrot (about 4 medium carrots)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup amber beer or chicken broth
- 5 cups cubed sourdough bread (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 cup dried cherries or dried cranberries
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 3 tablespoons in pan.
- Add mushrooms, onion, celery and carrot to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in sauerkraut and beer. Bring to a boil; cook, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half.
- In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, cherries, bacon and sauerkraut mixture. In a small bowl, whisk egg, broth, parsley, poultry seasoning and pepper. Gradually stir into bread mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Uncover; bake until lightly browned, 30-35 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
1 cup: 271 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 700mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.